Sunday, April 25, 2010

ICT's in Action: PowerPoint

After a quiet couple of weeks on blogger I am finally back into it. It has been quiet due to the increase in workload of the GDLT course and the commencement of EPL (embedded professional learning). It has been great to get out into the schools and see the use of ICT’s in real life classroom situations. In one of the classes I was involved in the use of the electronic whiteboard helped simplify to students how o use a protractor, it was amazing to see the students so eager to engage in the technology. It is also interesting to see how ICT’s are incorporated into a unit of work.

The unit of work my class is focusing on is the ‘environment’. As part of that unit students will be going on a field trip to Murray Lagoon and will be required to take pictures with a digital camera and do an oral presentation using power point. This ties in well with the knowledge we have learnt on PowerPoint presentations and what I have learnt from slideshare. To practice putting together a PowerPoint presentation before I need to demonstrate my skills in class I have done a presentation on how to handle glass. It is very basic presentation and I would not follow it in the workplace; however I wanted to freshen up my skills in putting together a presentation then uploading it on slideshare. Here is my presentation as I said before please don’t use it in the workplace lol! Please also view the youtube clip on the do’s and don’ts of PowerPoint presentations.





Uploading the presentation to slideshare was very simple and using this program has many benefits. If you are using blogs as a teaching tool to keep in touch as well as educate your students, using slideshare lets you communicate knowledge both declarative and procedural through PowerPoint form.

One question that I have is how do you embed youtube clips into the presentation. I would like to add this clip to the start of presentation as I believe it would be a good way to hook the audience. I tried to add the application into the PowerPoint software but was not successful, please feel free to indicate how to do it or how you would go about embedding a youtube clip.

No comments:

Post a Comment