Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Embedding Indigenous Perspectives


I’m going to follow up on the first blog that I did based on a news article that I read. The article basically highlighted the need to cater for cultural diversity when you’re teaching, in particular indigenous students. One of the questions that I posed is how do we address the issue of introducing new forms of technology to Aboriginal students? Having asked this question some months I feel like I have better insight into answering that question.

The first thing we need to address is that it has traditionally been seen that Aboriginal people are hands on and observant when it comes to their learning. Obviously this not apply to all Aboriginal people, it is just a general view. It has also been suggested that Aboriginal learners do not attempt something new in front of others due to their fear of failure and shame if they get it wrong. Having said all of this technology is very personal and using computers to teach Aboriginal people is a great way to help them attempt to learn without the fear of shame. If they get something wrong than no one will know.

After having a class discussion with Scot Aldred we were told of a program in the Gladstone region that was used to help Aboriginal students below the basic literacy and numeracy standards. The program involved the use of computer programs and the students engaging in these programs. After a couple of months it was shown that many of these students had reached the required standards of literacy and numeracy. I suppose it could be said that the students were able to engage in their learning without the feeling of shame put on them by other students. Scot has also made a recent blog post about an upcoming trip to the Cape York where he will be doing contract teaching. He said that he will focus on engaging students in developing a learning package that will teach Australian students how to manage marine resources. I suppose what I have gained form this is that is important to incorporate the use of ICT’s with culturally significant issues.

This being said it is important to have the resources to help facilitate the learning. Carolyne Thornton suggested that there are many school, families and individual students that do not have technology to engage them in their learning. Distance, finance, social and cultural factors affect the availability of ICT.

After reviewing this post I still feel like the questions that I had posed in my first post have still not been answered, but rather what I have showed what has been successful. However I feel I have learnt that it is important to teach indigenous from an indigenous perspective. Let me know what you think? I am all over the shop with this post but I felt it necessary to follow on the topic.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lachlan,

    After studying Indigenous Perspectives in PCKs, I had the opportunity to think outside ICTs as to how Indigenous Students could be engaged. Here was my response.

    Ways in which I could embed indigenous perspectives into my teaching include:
    • Use examples of Dreamtime stories for English
    • Use examples of Indigenous Art when teaching Visual Art
    • Use examples of the Stolen Generation for History
    • Use examples of hunting (ie. spearing their pray) to relate to HPE (Javelin)
    • Teaching non-indigenous and indigenous students to speak different tribal languages from the Aboriginal people, as a part of LOTE
    • Use terra nullius as an example in SOSE
    • During NAIDOC week incorporate an indigenous theme for all lesson plans, in all KLAs.

    In regards to the use of ICTs it is true that the student who would possibly have the most benefit from engaging in the technology, do not have access to it. However, this will always be the case in society, not everyone will have all the learning tools they need to be successful at their disposal. Thus, it is the job of the teachers, schools and parents to support students learning to the best of their ability, during times they have access to the technology.

    I remember a class discussion that talked about Aboriginal students in particular feeling 'safe and secure' whilst using ICTs in school because the other students in the class wouldnt be aware if they got an answer wrong, they were able to use the technology at their own pace and overall it engaged all of the students.

    I am not sure that this answers any question, I just think engaging in these types of conversations and sharing views can help enhance our own higher order thinking.

    Regards
    Chloe
    GDLT Fulltime
    Primary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lachlan

    Good comments and observations and I can surely relate to your pensiveness regarding, "Imbedding Indigenous Perspectives" into the current curriculum.

    The Australian Indigenous Culture is so diverse and also I enjoyed reading Chloe's comment on how she would implement teaching Indigenous Perspectives across all subjects. I my previous life as a Teacher Aide in Secondary, I have witnessed several of Chloe's suggestions in practice - quite an enjoyable experience for all students.

    Cheers

    Annie
    GDLT - Secondary
    Rockhampton

    ReplyDelete